Saturday, September 12, 2009

Names

I was reading a name-book about...well, names.  Like, what to name a child and whatsoever.  It said to not name a child something that would be made fun of.

So I started thinking.  What are names that would be made fun of?  Oh yeah...my name.  VICKY.  If anyone here knows the cartoon Fairly Odd Parents, you'd understand what I mean.  Icky Vicky the Evil Babysitter.  My name seems to rhyme with a lot of negative words, such as icky, sticky, sicky, picky...you get the point.  No wonder most Victorias like to go with the nickname Tori instead.  And to all the Nickis and Mickeys of the world....I feel sorry for you too.

The book's bad-name example was the name Luna, a rather pretty-sounding name.  The book said that bullies would think of that name as "Looney".  Looney, huh?  Wow.

It seems to me that all names can be made fun of.  Like...OK, this is too obvious, but the boy name "Dick" would totally be ridiculed.  The name "Babara" could be easily misunderstood as "BA-BA-rah", and Amy "Lame-y" isn't that good either.  And for boy names, who wouldn't be laughed at if your name was "Clifford"?  Sheesh, the world is cruel.

Foreign-sounding (or differently spelled) names are also a target for bullying.  Names that can't be pronounced correctly by most others, names that just sound weird....poor kids.  I have a classmate named Shan.  Did you think that it rhymed with 'fan'?  WRONG.  His name is actually pronounced as Shawn.  I have another classmate named Shana who always gets her name mispronounced as "Shaw-na" instead of "Shan-a".  Asian names like Qing or Tsung become "King" and "Tung".  Horrific.

The definition of your name could even be mocked.  The name "Peter" sounds totally common, right?  Its definition is "Rock".  Mean people could see that as "haha, your brain is a rock!  You are an idiot!"  Sad, sad.  The name Cecilia (or CiCi) means "Blind"...do I even have to say anything?

Your initials or how your first name sounds with your last name also matters.  Peggy Isabella Gringe (just an example)'s initials are P.I.G.  April May just gets laughed at.  Ho-hum-ho.

There are more and more examples...but I'm getting tired...You get my point, don't you?  There are SO MANY things to consider while naming a child.  Ugh.

Bye for now.

-Vociferously yours, Vicky.

2 comments:

  1. Trust me I know how you feel. My name is Nikki and I'm really picky with my foods :( And I know a kid who's name is Randy Ho. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, poor you. -_- At times, I don't even know WHY people invent weird names.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! It's greatly appreciated.