Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Story Chapter 7 (Finale)

Here's the last chapter.

The next day was Saturday. I spent the entire morning searching up possible clues on how to banish evil spirits. I found an interesting webpage.
“Welcome,” it said. “To banish any evil spirit, one must recite the following incantation while facing the evil object directly without alarm.”
But the words of the incantation were too tiny. I growled, and looked through the Page Source. Ah, there it is.
But to my alarm, the words were disappearing rapidly! So I quickly found a piece of paper and scribbled down what I could. “Banish all whom I detest, within the evil pump…”
Pump? That didn’t make sense. I thought through it carefully, and suddenly it all made sense. Pump was actually “pumpkin”.
I closed the Page Source and refreshed the webpage. To my surprise, an “Error” message greeted me. Huh. Maybe the webpage got suddenly deleted….Or maybe…
I quickly phoned up CiCi and got her to come over, telling her what happened. At 1:00pm, me, CiCi, and Ethan sat around the jack o lantern balls and took a few deep breaths.
“This is it,” I said.
“How do you know the incantation is real?” Ethan demanded.
“Because your sister found a magic webpage,” CiCi said, smiling. I knew she was joking.
“Enough, okay?” I snapped.
“Sure,” they both said in union.
I sighed and regarded the two jack o lantern balls with a mixture of regret and distaste. Regret, as in I regretted leaving the house on Halloween Night. Distaste, as in I hated how the balls had caused us all so much trouble.
I began the incantation, looking calm and focused. “Banish all whom I detest, within the evil pumpkin.”
We waited, waited for the miracle to happen. But nothing did. Maybe I was wrong, I thought to myself, depressed. Maybe I didn’t find the right incantation.
CiCi looked down on the ground, saying nothing. Ethan stifled a yawn, also silent. And then it happened.
We all looked up when we heard a deafening screech of horror, rising from the jack o lantern balls. “Aeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!” They yelled, and suddenly, two misty yellow things rose up from the balls, connecting together, forming into the shape of a witch…The Witch of Misfortune. “You’ve won this time,” she screeched. “But I’ll soon be back!” She disappeared into nowhere, and so did the jack o lantern balls.
CiCi, I, and Ethan were silent for a while. Then Ethan broke it. “Aw,” he said. “I don’t get to keep my jack o lantern ball?”
“No you don’t,” I said, hugging my brother. “Just be happy you’re alive.”

Weeks past, and things went back to normal. CiCi’s dad got another job, and her mom became healthy and well again.
I was with my brother on our patio one blissful Sunday night. “Hey Ethan,” I said.
“What?”
“Remember three weeks ago?”
“What happened three weeks ago?”
“Remember when we went trick or treating on Halloween Night, and got those two jack o lantern balls that caused us all that trouble?”
Ethan turned at me, looking confused. “What are you talking about?”
“You really don’t remember? Three weeks ago? Trick or treating? Halloween? The jack o lantern balls?”
“You’re crazy, sis,” he said. “It hasn’t been Halloween yet. Halloween’s in two days.”
“Two days?” I was confused. I reached for my cell phone and turned it on. To my surprise, the date was Oct 29!
The End.

Next week, I'll continue writing the Princess and the Pea.

-Vociferously yours, Vicky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! It's greatly appreciated.