Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween Story Chapter 2

Yay, Chapter 2!

I woke up the next day feeling sleepy and full of fatigue. I looked over at my jack o lantern ball. It was still smiling at me. The smile warmed me up, and I got dressed and went downstairs.
Ethan was still cradling his jack o lantern ball like it was his most favourite thing in the world. Mom and Dad were there too, reading the newspaper and having breakfast.
My mom was a technician and my dad was a businessman. They were friendly people, with lots of friends and not so many enemies. “Good morning, Judy,” they greeted me.
“Good morning.” I yawned and sat down. “So Ethan,” I said, directing my gaze at my little brother, “You’re still loving that thing?”
Ethan frowned at me. “Well, at least I have something to do!” He stood up. “I have to use the washroom,” he told my parents.
I still remember that moment freshly. He had pushed his chair in, picked up his jack o lantern ball, turned around, and started walking in the direction of the restroom. But on his second step, he tripped over his fuzzy blue slippers, crashing onto the hard linoleum floor with a loud stentorian bang. He had hit his head hard.
“Ethan!” My parents and I stood up at the exactly same time, rushing over to him, worried sick. “Ethan, Ethan dear…Can you hear me?” My mother frantically whispered at him.
Mom felt around his head. Suddenly, her face turned white. “There’s blood!” She shrieked. “There’s blood! Henry, go call 911!”
My father reached for the phone and quickly dialled. Soon, an ambulance pulled up and took my brother away.
“Is there anything I can do?” I felt useless.
“No, Judy.” My mother’s voice was firm. “You go to school.”
“Alright, mum.” I started to leave, but I saw something that made me suddenly stopped in my tracks. Ethan’s jack o lantern ball was still on the floor. But to my amazement, there was an eerie neon yellow glow surrounding it. And the smile that was once there was replaced by an evil grin. “Ethan…Ethan…” It seemed to be chanting my brother’s name in a deep, mellow voice. I blinked and shook my head. All of a sudden, the jack o lantern ball looked normal again, completely normal and smiling…Without a glow.
I decided that it was only my imagination. Come on, Judy, I told myself. You’re hallucinating.
But as I turned away, I heard something else. It was a chanting in the same voice as before, repeating itself inside my head. I dared not to turn my head back again to check on the jack o lantern ball. I was scared out of my wits already. But I did hear the chant. The voice was now whispery and husky, quietly reciting the same thing over and over again: “Judy…You’re next. We’re going to get you…”

-Vociferously yours, Vicky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! It's greatly appreciated.