Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween Story Chapter 1

I decided to write a Halloween Story for Halloween on Oct 31.  Here's chapter 1.  The story should be finished by....Halloween or so...I dunno.

“156…157…158. 158 pieces of candy.”
“158? I only got 120!”
“Ha, ha, I got more than you did, sis!”
“Just shut up already.”
I was in my room, counting up the candy with my little brother. We had just gone trick-or-tricking to all the houses in the neighbourhood, and I got to admit, I was dead beat. I still had my Halloween witch costume on, an ugly piece of yellow worn out fabric etched unskilfully together into a dress. And of course, an equally ugly yellow witch hat, bought at the Dollar Store.
“Hey Judy, aren’t you going to eat your candy?” My chubby little nine-year-old brother Ethan beckoned at me. His blue wizard hat slipped down and covered his brown, almond-shaped eyes. “If you don’t, I’ll just take yours too!”
“Yeesh, talk about impatience.” I sat down with him and regarded our load. All sorts of different kinds of candy were laid out on the living room floorboards. Lollipops, chocolate, gummies…Every kind of candy I could imagine. “So Ethan,” I said. “What should we eat first?”
“You’re the tall fourteen-year-old skinny freak,” he rolled his eyes at me. “It’s only fair that you get to decide.”
I frowned at him. It was true that I was thin and tall, above average in height for my age, but I never like it when he says that to me. I chose to let it go and started rummaging through my bags. My hands suddenly came across something round and hard. I picked it up.
I realized that I was staring at a light green plastic jack o lantern ball. It had a black smiling face printed onto it. “Huh, that’s strange,” I said. “I don’t remember getting this.”
Ethan rummaged through his bags, and pulled out an identical ball, except smaller. “I got one too,” he mused. “Hey! Why is yours bigger than mine?”
“That’s only because I’M bigger than you, you twerp.”
“No fair!”
But we decided to just put the balls aside and find other things in our bags. Sure, they were pretty to look at, but they weren’t edible.
We ate 2 lollipops, 3 chocolate bars, and a gummy bear each. Then mom called us to bed. “It’s a school day tomorrow,” she reminded us.
I took my jack o lantern ball and placed it on my desk. There, I thought. I can always see it there…Perhaps as a memento of this Halloween.
Ethan put his on his desk too. He really liked that thing.
At 10 o clock sharp, I turned off my lights and went to bed. On my bed, the jack o lantern was still there, smiling amiably.
But then it changed. The smile changed. In my motionless sleep, the jack o lantern’s smile slowly changed into a crooked, nasty scowl.

-Vociferously yours, Vicky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! It's greatly appreciated.