Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween Story Chapter 3

^_^

We’re? Who’s the ‘we’? Those two questions repeated themselves in my head through first and second period at school. I couldn’t even pay attention to the teacher.
“Judy? Did you hear what I just said?” Mrs. Morris-Shane beckoned at me, pursing her lips and narrowing her eyes.
“Huh? Oh, I’m sorry, ma’am.”
And the whole class snickered. My friend CiCi nudged me. “What’s with you today?” I just couldn’t tell her.
During lunch break, I went to my locker to put my books back. As I took the things out of my backpack, I gasped. Sitting snugly in my backpack’s back pocket was my – and Ethan’s – jack o lantern balls. I didn’t remember putting those in.
Was I seriously losing it? I didn’t know. I decided to just let everything go and put the balls in my locker.
“Aw, those are so cute! Did you get those on Halloween?” CiCi poked at the jack o lantern balls, gushing over them. Her light blonde hair bounced up and down.
“Uh, yeah…Sure, you could say that. The smaller one’s my brother’s, though.”
“Then why do YOU have it?”
“My brother tripped and broke his head. He’s in the hospital right now.”
“Poor Ethan.”
“I know. I feel really sad too.”
CiCi pondered over that for a few moments. Then she immediately perked up. “Can I have yours, then?”
“My what? You mean, my jack o lantern ball?”
“Yeah, I really like it.”
Why not? I thought. “Sure.”
“Thank you so much!” CiCi squealed all over the place. “I thought it would be nice if you seriously took good care of your brother’s…To show your care for Ethan…”
I raised my eyebrows at her. She just didn’t make sense sometimes. “Whatever.” I handed her my jack o lantern ball.
CiCi cradled it in her hands, looking down at it as if it was a baby. “I can’t believe you would give this up to me so easily!”
“Eh, who cares?”
CiCi was silent for a second. Then her facial expressions changed. She looked confused. “Did you just say my name?” She asked me.
“No, why?”
“I thought someone just said my name…Maybe I’m just crazy.”
“Maybe you are.”
“You’re SO nice!”
And off she went, carrying my jack o lantern ball in the side pocket of her backpack. As she disappeared around the corner, a faint neon yellow glow followed her.

-Vociferously yours, Vicky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! It's greatly appreciated.