Thursday, March 4, 2010

O Canada?

I was just reading Yahoo.ca and Msn.ca.   Y'know, what a Canadian would read to start his or her day.  (I'm not at school because I still feel sick and I'm coughing.)

They are saying that the lyrics to "O Canada" should be changed.  Supposedly, our national anthem is not gender-neutral.  "In all thy sons' command" should be changed to "Thou dost in us command", a very ancient version.  Well, at least that's what everyone else thinks.

Personally, as a female citizen of Canada, I think it's not a big deal!  Go do a survey.  Who actually pays attention?  I bet that the vast majority of us beaver-lovers will say, "Oh?  Wha--?  Huh, I didn't even notice."

Now imagine; What would happen if the lyrics do get changed?:  Hundreds of Youtube videos being re-uploaded, making Internet speed awfully slow.  Protesters (there are always the protesters...) wreaking havoc across the country.  Kids coughing as they pull out their old dusty 1908 dictionaries, trying to decipher the meaning of the word 'dost'.

What's next, people?  Changing the colour of our flag to hot pink?  Deciding that we should actually take out the 'u' in 'colour'?  Wow, what a splendid world this is, huh?

And even if the lyrics don't get changed, the damage is already done.  Female rights groups will begin their attack.  The men of the country will start yelling and whopping for joy.  Imagine the noise.

I just feel sorry for the Americans south of the border.  I won't be surprised when they start complaining.  "Can't you quiet DOWN, you filthy Canadians?"

Oh well.  All we can do is sit like ducks.  And if you're not a Canadian, you can ignore all that I just typed.

-Vociferously yours, Vicky.

1 comment:

Please leave me a comment! It's greatly appreciated.