Saturday, December 11, 2010

Modesty is a Virtue

The other day, also known as yesterday, I realized something I've never realized before:  You simply cannot hate a modest person.  No matter what they do and no matter how they do it, it is impossible to have bad feelings towards those people.

First of all, let's talk arrogance.  If you knew me, you'd know how much I loathe braggarts.  And that's where your eyes should have opened wider.  The question is, why do we hate proud people?  They're not doing anything bad.  They're only talking about themselves, right?

But the truth is, we don't like it when people talk about themselves.  When other people purposely thrust themselves into the limelight, we don't feel good.  Maybe it's because we want a chance to speak.  Maybe it's because we don't want them to speak.  Either way, we don't like it when other people make themselves look good in an "oh, I'm better than you" fashion, because we don't want to be considered inferior to them.

Yesterday in Math class (har har, Math <_<), it was my classmate's birthday.  We sang happy birthday to him, and in the middle of our song, our teacher asked my classmate, "Oh, it's your birthday?"  He said yes.  The teacher nodded approvingly at him.  "Happy Birthday.  (Name), you are a good boy.  You are humble.  That is very good! "

I made a mental list of everyone I knew who was relatively modest or humble.  I connected the lines in the picture inside my head, and I found the principal similarity between all those lovely people:  No one hated them.  No one even mildly disliked them.  Because they couldn't.

And then I made a mental list of everyone I knew who was relatively arrogant or boastful.  I found a principal similarity between all those people as well:  I have heard someone say something bad about each and every one of them.  People are displeased with them.  People find them irritating.  People don't like them too much.

To tell the truth, I don't like them either.  So whenever they boast and get the teacher's appreciation, I feel hurt.  I don't boast, and sometimes, the teacher doesn't see my efforts because of it, perhaps.  But I don't want to boast, because arrogance is a sin.

But when the modest people get the teacher's appreciation, I feel an incredible happiness for them.  I smile and I applaud wholeheartedly.  Even if they aren't my friends.  Even if I don't know them.

Modesty is a virtue.  I found that out just yesterday.  Everyone likes modest people, but not everyone likes show-offs.

So even if you want to show the world your prowess, try doing it in an indirect, humble way.  That way, not only do you get your message across, but people will like you too.

Or in general, just try being humble for a day.  See how it's like, and observe.  If you keep being humble and modest, friendly and kind, people will like you better.

I'll try it too, tomorrow during Math class.  ;D

-Vociferously yours, Vicky.

2 comments:

Please leave me a comment! It's greatly appreciated.