Saturday, May 15, 2010

Princess and the Pea Chapter 31

A longer chapter this time:

Chapter 31:

In the forest, Queen Lily’s eyes slowly opened. She groaned as she heaved herself up. “Ugh…”
Prince Samson immediately went over to support the queen. “Mother, are you alright?”
Marilynn looked over her shoulder at Queen Lily. “How are you feeling, Queen Lily?” She asked somewhat nonchalantly. Marilynn closed her eyes, and remembered Queen Lily’s coldness to her that one morning after she had spent the night sleeping on top of those twenty mattresses. It seemed like a century ago to her. It was when she was still Princess Marilynn of Ruby Cross. It was when all was peaceful and her life was secure. Marilynn opened her eyes again.
“I’m fine, thank you.” Queen Lily looked back at Marilynn, and met her gaze. If only the girl had felt the pea, she thought. She is a smart, capable lass. If only she had felt the pea…
Marilynn saw the regretful look behind the queen’s ice-blue eyes. She had to tell the truth. “Queen Lily, you remember that night you told me to sleep on those mattresses? The first day we met?”
“Yes?” Queen Lily frowned.
The words came out in a jumble. “I was only being polite. I did have trouble sleeping that night. There was something pricking me in the back the whole entire time. It did bother me.”
Queen Lily’s eyes opened wide, but the surprise didn’t last. She looked down and exhaled. “I knew you were a real princess, Marilynn. I did. I just needed to make sure…” When she looked back at her, tears were streaming down her face. “But we can’t do anything about it now, can we? Our kingdoms have been taken over. Our lives are in danger. We’re ruined, and it’s all my fault.”
“How is it your fault? It’s Helen’s, Queen Lily. It’s Helen’s fault.”
“No, it’s mine. If I had only accepted you that morning, Linda Crosby wouldn’t have come that day impersonating Princess Lila. If I had only accepted you that morning, Linda wouldn’t have been able to snoop around my castle and commence the witches’ plan. If I had only accepted you that morning, we wouldn’t be here right now, with mud on our faces and twigs in our hair!”
Marilynn was momentarily silenced. Prince Samson, who was still supporting Queen Lily, was too. He bit his lip, feeling his mother’s sadness as she wept, hopelessly and grievingly.
“But, Queen Lily, we can still revive and save our kingdoms! Just please, stop crying!” Marilynn tried to console her.
“Yes, mother, please!” Samson almost couldn’t take it anymore. And near them, King William and Queen Sandra were beginning to suffer from the depression too.
“Queen Lily, it will all be fine.”
“As long as we’re together, friend, we can redeem!”
Queen Lily wiped her eyes. “Please, don’t call me Queen Lily. I’m not queen anymore.”
A shrill voice called out, and everyone turned their heads to Fiona Crosby, who was sitting there in the corner, twiddling her thumbs impatiently. “And if you want to become queen again, stop with the depressing noise.” She pulled out a scroll from her side pouch, and opened it, displaying it in front of her. “Alright, rest time’s over. Let’s get down to work.”

-Vociferously yours, Vicky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! It's greatly appreciated.