Friday, December 11, 2009

Slave For A Day

It's amazing what teachers can come up with to motivate children.  It's just amazing.

Recently, we had a charity at our school.  To encourage us to donate cans, etc, our teacher came up with a contest, entitled "Slave For A Day".

The teacher split us up into two groups...Boys vs girls.  The contest was to see which group could bring in more cans.  At the end, the losing team had to be the winning team's "slave" or rather, "servant" for the day.  Fair.

And heck, did that get us motivated or what!  Donations started rolling in quicker than a boulder falling off a cliff at 120 miles per hour.  People became more generous than ever.  One of my classmates even brought in a garbage bag full of toys and clothes!  Amazing.  In total, my class brought in 400+ cans.

Sadly, we, the girls, lost.  So today, we became the guys' Slaves For A Day.  You could say I was lucky, for I missed the entire morning in class today since I had to do my Harmony examination.  ^_^

When I came back from my exam, one of my friends came and told me about all the stupid things her assigned 'master' made her do.  I mean, what the heck?  Pushing him to French class on his chair?  Microwaving his lunch when he didn't even need his lunch to be microwaved?  Etc.

My other classmates didn't exactly enjoy themselves either.  One particularly unhappy classmate had to wear an apron....You get the point.

My afternoon was okay, I guess.  My assigned 'master' kept on threatening me with comments such as "you are gonna seriously suffer", but he was actually quite nice.  ^_^

Slave for a day, slave for a day.  Such a stupid idea.  Yet it does motivate us children, so I believe it's not really all that immoral...?

-Vociferously yours, Vicky.

P.S.  I pay my respects to all the people out there whose ancestors had to suffer through slavery.  God pray for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! It's greatly appreciated.